From:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Oct 2007 15:10:05 +0100
Hi Chris

> Interesting.  Amm is considered by some to have relative longevity.  Does
> Dave C have any figures on this?

Not any figures on longevity as such, but I can say that in AMM, the
purer the specimen the longer life tends to be.

As regards Nosema, I think the shortening of life is proportionate
whatever the race.

But as regards ability to handle nosema the best point is raised by Gavin...

 > ability and inclination to fly in poor weather would help.

This would discriminate in favour of AMM compared to most other races
and Italian strains in particular.

Not withstanding that AMM may survive Nosema more easily, I prefer to
let those few colonies that suffer with it die, rather than propagate
the disease by use of antibiotics.

The Beowulf Cooper document that was mentioned on the Irish list
recently has a paragraph on Nosema and springs to mind as appropriate...
http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/winter_losses.html

Regards & Best 73s, Dave Cushman, G8MZY
http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman or http://www.dave-cushman.net
Short FallBack M/c, Build 6.02/3.1 (stable)