HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol Serr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jun 2009 13:43:08 -0500
Since we're reminiscing...the pebble issue reminds me of a residential
dump site we collected and analyzed a few yrs ago.  But more
importantly, while excavating, crew members had the forethought to
collect....a handful of small (25 cent pc size) pebbles, found in
various locations within the discarded trash...situated on the upper
slope of a knoll...of solid bedrock.  WHY would pebbles be up there?
They would have been collected from the river area down the hill.
Well...what do kids (or men?) Like to do at dumps...with shimmering
glass bottles tempting them?  Shoot them as targets!  But if you're a
kid...and don't have a firearm at your disposal...use a sling shot...and
pebbles for ammo.  Breaks glass and dishes just as well.   :o)
But, who knows if that is the real function of the out of place pebbles.
??
Maybe they were alligator gizzard stones (ha ha; sorry inside
side-joke).