Reply To:
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2009 19:36:09 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
Both of those stories were cable dispatches and would have been widely republished. The Chanler expedition was avidly followed by American newspapers. The only way to identify the specific paper, other than finding the masthead, would be to compare the page layouts. It can be done, hoping that the paper has been digitized, but it would take time. 

Best,

Tim

From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY on behalf of wayne Abrahamson
Sent: Wed 2/11/2009 3:49 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Late 19th century linoleum patterns and newspapers

I am working on a eastern coastal paddlewheel steamboat that has several square feet of linoleum laid down on the engineroom floorboards. I completed most of the research I needed concerning linoleum, but have one question left to answer: did certain linoleum manufacturers produce only certain types of patterns, and if so, was there some sort of industry catalog. It would be nice if I could match up my linoleum with a certain manufacturer.
Also, I am concerned mainly about linoleum from the 1890s because we found newspaper under the linoleum that dates to 1894 (Feb. 5th exactly). I was curious if anybody knows 1) if there is any documentation showing how to use newspapers as padding for thin linoleum 2) a good way to access newspaper archives. Some lines on the newspaper state "Kerabergi's (?) party active Belgrade-Feb. 5, 1894 Several demonstrations in favor of the Servian Pretender, Prince Keraberg (?)" Also, "Mr. W.A. Chanler's African expedition Zanzibar-Feb 5 1894 (by cable to the Herald) William Astor Chanler left here to ------". These lines along with others may indicate that it was the New York City newspaper Herald, and it would be nice if I could find these pages in the archives. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

ATOM RSS1 RSS2