HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Clevenger, Liz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 2009 16:43:08 -0800
From Dusty McKenzie with the Cabrillo College Archaeology Technology Program.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dustin McKenzie [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2009 12:33 PM
Subject: CCATP in Crisis

Dear friends,

I am very sad to report that due to the current budget crisis the Cabrillo College administration has decided to cut the Archaeology Technology Program (CCATP). This means that Cabrillo College will no longer be offering summer field schools, classes focused on state and federal legislation, and archaeological data management courses. The decision to cut the program was based on analysis conducted by the Dean of Instruction, Career Education and Economic Development.  The analysis apparently found that CCATP graduates rarely find work after completing the program and those that find employment do not receive a living wage. This conclusion is very confusing as most CCATP students I know find gainful employment after completing the program and some students even begin working for local CRM companies while still enrolled in the program. Furthermore, CCATP alumni hold managerial positions at consulting firms and state and federal agencies throughout California and beyond. It is obvious that the CCATP has been a springboard for students entering the job market or pursuing higher education.

I know I am not the only one that believes that losing the CCATP program is detrimental to the Cabrillo College student body, agencies, and archaeological consulting companies that rely on skilled archaeological technicians. On this note, I think that anyone who is concerned with the
future of Cabrillo College archaeology should contact the administrative officials listed below. When doing so please explain the significance of the program in regards to your career or education. I hope that if the administration becomes aware of the importance CCATP they might reconsider cutting the program.

For students that are currently enrolled in the program it is critical that you contact the administration and me! As I understand it, the school is legally obligated to provide you with all the classes listed in the catalog the year you enrolled in the program. As such, you need to tell the school that you expect them to honor your catalog rights and that they must offer the classes you need to earn your degree or certificate.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions regarding these important issues!!!

Sincerely,
Dusty McKenzie
CCATP

Please contact...