HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol McDavid <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol McDavid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2008 08:22:26 -0600
Dear Colleagues,

We'd like to invite any of you who plan to attend the upcoming AAA meetings
in San Francisco next week to attend the the "invited roundtable discussion"
that we are planning, entitled "Dynamics of Inclusion in Community
Archaeology". We hope that this roundtable will generate some productive,
critical discussion about what community archaeology is, what actually
happens on ground in working with communities, what this work actually
accomplishes, who participates and who does not, and how and why outreach
and collaboration succeed or fail. It will be held from 1:45 - 3:30 on Thursday,
November 20th.

Each of our formal participants will provide some examples from their
individual community archaeology experience to start the conversation. Then
we hope that everyone present will participate in group discussion.

We hope our shared thoughts will provide some reflexive insight into our
personal feelings and experiences about the process of engagement and the
ways we have handled the dynamics of inclusion, allowing others to better
understand our particular contexts and interests.

Please forward this to others who might be interested.thanks,
Chris Matthews
Carol McDavid

Carol McDavid, Ph.D.
Executive Director, Community Archaeology Research Institute, Inc. (CARI)
Co-Director, Yates Community Archaeology Project
Adjunct Assistant Professor, University of Houston
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Rice University
1638 Branard
Houston, TX 77006
www.publicarchaeology.org