HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2008 15:56:52 -0600
STANFORD UNIVERSITY MUSEUM OF ART. Opium Pipes, Prints, & Paraphernalia
(1979). Nice lightly illustrated exhibition of the Ralph Spiegl Collection

WEGARS (ed.).  Hidden Heritage: Historical Archaeology of The Overseas
Chinese (1993). Contains two monographs on opium artifacts and opium-smoking
Rapaport, Ben. *Arts of Asia*, Mar-Apr 1995. illustrated article, "The
Chinese Opium Pipe"

From Ben Rapaport's Quarterly newsletter - Antiquarian Tobaccianna, Summer
2007.:
*OPIUM FOR THE MASSES?* In the last couple years, the opium pipe and its
accoutrements have been 'front and center' around the world, and I admit
that I do not know why. Don't believe me? Just count the number of new
releases: Hodgson (1999), Lee (1999), Wigal (2004), National Museum of
History (Taiwan) (2004), Brown (2005), Armero & Rapaport (2005), and
Bertholet (2006)! That's the beginning. Just as Armero and Rapaport, two
antique pipe collectors, were a little out of their element when they
crafted *The Arts of an Addiction*, Don Duco, a prolific writer and host of
one of the best pipe museums in the Netherlands, Pijpenkabinet, acknowledges
on his Web site that he has published his first book on "non-European
smoking," *Opium & Opiumschuiven *(*Opium and Opium Smoking*)* *(2006) at
29.90€. You can find descriptive details and order information for Duco's
book on his museum Web site, *http://www.pijpenkabinet.nl/Newsletter6*. Then
there is Cees Hogendoorn's *Opium, de kunst van verloren collecties *(*Opium,
the Art of Lost Collections*) (2007), at about $20 by contacting *
[log in to unmask] *(The Kunsthal Museum, Rotterdam), or contact him for
further details (*[log in to unmask]*). And here's one from Steven Martin, *The
Art of Opium Antiques* (2007), 128 pages with 100 color illustrations at 625
Thai baht, or around $20–$25. Order his book at this site, *
www.opiummuseum.com, *or from the publisher,* www.silkwormbooks.info*. Still
a non-believer? Then how about this? At the Brussels Oriental Art Fair, June
6–10, 2007, there will be a display of a unique collection of opium objects
for sale in conjunction with other Asiatic art. To get a glimpse of this
exhibit, "The Art of Opium," visit *http://membres.lycos.fr/artabacologie*.

Smoke.

--
Smoke Pfeiffer

Remember: When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!