From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2007 08:25:36 -0500
J. Waggle  wrote:
> No less of a frontiersman than Davy Crockett was pleased to find that in
Texas "there were bees and honey a-plenty" in 1836.

* Davy WAS in Texas in 1836. For a couple of months. He died there, at the
Alamo. I would hesitate to believe anything he was supposed to have said. I
mean, like: "killed himself a b'ar when he was only three." By his own
account he killed 105 bears in about nine months.

> In May 1836 Richard Penn Smith wrote "Colonel Crockett's Exploits and
Adventures in Texas" and Carey & Hart published this material claiming it
was the "authentic diary" of Crockett's taken from the Alamo by a Mexican
general who was later killed at the Battle of San Jacinto.