HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jason Ramsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2008 15:49:22 -0500
I am a lab supervisor working with Shannon Dawdy on material
from the New Orleans French Quarter.  I was wondering if
anyone had suggestions on how best to approach possible
chemical residue analysis.

We have a great deal of ceramic and bottle glass.
What techniques are most recommended to explore the use of
(unglazed) ceramic vessels in historic contexts?
And should the contents of bottles only be analyzed in the
cases of whole specimens or might bottle bases still retain
detectable traces in them?

Thanks

Jason Ramsey
University of Chicago