HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Janice Adamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jun 2008 19:30:40 -0700
Hi.  I was wondering if anyone has had the "Arcadian Chariots" pattern come
up in pre-1860 archaeological contexts?  I'm just trying to find out a
little more information about the design, as it's come up in a few vessels
in one of my farmstead sites I've excavated for my PhD.  I already have
information from Petra Williams 1 & 2, and I know it was reproduced in the
20th century by Cauldon, which makes me think it could be an earlier Ridgway
pattern, but I don't have a makers or pattern name mark and have just
identified it from Williams book.  To the best of my knowledge it is a
pattern that hasn't been found in New Zealand before, but would be
interested to know if anyone has seen it elsewhere in the world and if any
makers marks have turned up.  Thanks.