From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 2009 18:43:23 -0700
Jon Gallant wrote:

>website, in which the appallingly bad search engine could not find about
> half of their own CDs by such search criteria as composer or performer.

Indeed.

> But wasn't BMG connected with SONY?  Maybe it was run by
> electronics techies who disliked music.

BMG took over RCA.

Years ago, when BMG Classical was young, there was a woman in charge who
was really good at filling the catalog with good and unusual items and
in that period most of my collecting was from this source which, even
with the s&h charge, brought the cost of a CD down to about $7 when you
did their three for one deal.  But for years now they have been emphasizing
crossover and other schlock and it has been a rare thing when I even
wanted more than an occasional offering.  The best stuff in the last
year was the series of Martinu violin works which I reviewed. I think
they probably still have those.

Jim Tobin