HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 11 Jan 2012 10:19:50 +0800
Well it seems clear to me that archaeologists need to do something. There
would appear to be two lobbying angles which could usefully be applied.

Firstly lobby the City and the Florida Film Commission regarding the
unethical approach and damage to American heritage and urging them not to
support/allow unless an proper archaeological approach is taken.

Secondly lobby the film production company to make them see what they are
planning is unethical and damaging and urge them to change the approach
slightly to turn it from looting for artefacts to well-grounded public
archaeology. At the same time letting them know that if they don't lobbying
will be done with the TV channels not to air their program on the grounds
that they are destroying American heritage.

Having gone through a major lobbying campaign in Western Australia to save
Cossack (thanks to all those who helped with that) I also know that you need
to get SHA involved in the lobbying and any other archaeological
associations you have, plus any of the history, heritage or re-enactment
organisations that care about heritage (even politicians), from all over
America, they don't have to be just local, in fact its better if the protest
is widespread geographically and across disciplines, then it can't be seen
as just an archaeological turf war.

All of you archaeologists should e-mail all of your likely contacts: get
them to send e-mails to the lobbying targets (make sure the production
company is cc'd in to any protest e-mail sent to people in power/TV channels
and the Film Commission), you can offer a written pro-former protest for
them to personalise and forward. I started out with an open letter of
protest put out on discussion lists and sent to heritage organisations of
various sorts (our historians really got on board to help Cossack, our
architects didn't) then went onto doing the above e-mail campaign. The back
lash stunned our Heritage Council and the government (who were the
developers). I also got the media involved to let the public join in the
protest but that is hard to do until the protest is well underway.

I don't think you will stop the production company making a program but you
have a chance to make them rethink their methods - particularly as they have
not pre sold this program to any of the channels. They are making it on
speck.

Cami  the original message and link is below

This is something all archaeologists should be pretty concerned about, in my
humble opinion:

http://staugustine.com/news/local-news/2012-01-05/crews-dig-backyards-tv-sho
w-raising-objections-city-archaeologist#.TwtNrYHNk_Q

Cheers Gaye