HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Linda Goetz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jun 2011 12:50:13 -0600
The Alabama Historical Commission has a series of articles on historic house (including cabins) characteristics, including flooring.  The section on brick flooring says: "Brick floors in service areas prior to c. 1870 were laid directly on the earth on a sand or cinder bed to lessen moisture accumulation. Common patterns were: 4 x 8 inch square herringbone, 4 x 8 inch 45 degree herringbone, and 8 x 8 inch half-bond, square. Joints were butted tight with sand swept in and wet down to fill any cracks. No 'mortar joints' were employed."

Link to the site: http://preserveala.org/Historic_Homes.aspx?sm=e_a

Linda Naoi Goetz  |  Senior Archaeologist
JBR Environmental Consultants, Inc.
www.jbrenv.com  |  425.977.4994 ext. 102