HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Linda Goetz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2011 20:21:55 -0700
The IMACS button chronology section notes: "Quality Mark's: 'A term used for certain words found on the backs of buttons made after 1800. It is believed the purpose of the words was mainly to promote sales, as the differences in quality can seldom be noted. Most of the marks appeared between 1800 and 1850. Examples are 'Rich Gold,' "Gilt", and 'Rich Orange' (Luscomb 1967:163)."

Some sources note that they were used by Native American  troops in the Civil War:

http://books.google.com/books?id=aBnAadssV4kC&pg=PA102&dq=civil+war+cherokee+troop+uniform&hl=en&ei=zMAvTYeHC8P38AbNvJSMCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDsQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false

http://sgtriker.com/Confederatestatebuttons.htm

http://www.relicman.com/buttons/zBackmarkRich.htm