HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jul 2009 15:52:06 -0700
*** CALL FOR PARTICIPANTS: Society for American Archaeology Conference
2010 ***

How archaeology makes its subject(s): Groups, things and epistemic
(in)justices

Organizers:

David R. Cohen
Department of Anthropology
University of California, Berkeley
email: [log in to unmask]

Chelsea Blackmore
UC Office of the President Postdoctoral Fellow
Department of Anthropology
University of California, Berkeley
email: [log in to unmask]
Archaeologists have long used objects as defining characteristics of
what they suppose to be more-or-less bounded social groups, people who
are presumably connected through what we perceive to be a shared
material culture. We have a long legacy of characterizing such groups
as “cultures”, often labeling them as the people of a certain pottery
type (e.g., Bell-Beaker Culture), architectural or other technological
style. While this may appear to be a harmless sort of classificatory
strategy, there are numerous, often deeply problematic issues that it
can generate. Not only does such a characterization tend to reduce the
inquiry into the dynamics of how social and cultural entities develop,
form, and engage with their social worlds because an “identity” is
already pre-determined, but, as we can see in numerous cases in the
contemporary world, such labels of identity can often lead to
troubling 'epistemic injustices' (term of Miranda Fricker) of static
identities and hence a resulting discrimination, among many other
possibilities.

Papers will address various aspects of this dilemma, ranging from
examinations on the long standing ways in which archaeologists make
their subject(s), to those that explore the epistemic practices that
can lead to specific cases of (in)justice in the contemporary world or
historical past. This session is a continuation of ideas generated at
the TAG (Theoretical Archaeology Group, Stanford University) 2009
conference in a session organized by Meg Conkey, David Cohen, Matt
Sayre, Doris Maldonado, and John Chenoweth.

Possible questions to be addressed include: How does archaeological
practice impact modern descendant communities in their control over
the past and the construction of modern identities? In what ways do
our epistemologies alter, reify, or even demonize these groups and how
does this affect their political, social, and economic access? In
acknowledging these problems, how can we establish a socially and
politically conscious practice and move beyond the subjugation of the
materials and peoples we study? Is collaboration enough? What should
our role/voice be in foreign countries where we work toward building
knowledge about the past that has impacts on people in the present?

If you are interested in participating, please contact David and
Chelsea for further information about the deadline for abstracts.