HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 30 Jul 2009 11:56:30 EDT
Last week we viewed a photo of a medical kit and I offered to have a MD who
 collects medical devices look into what it might have been used to cure.
Several  HISTARCH members identified it as a smoke enema. Here is Gordon
Hunt, MD's  reply:

Ron:
I spoke with the GI historian, Bob  Kravetz, who was the initial
gastroenterologist in the phoenix area.  He  confirms your colleague's suspicion-it is
a tobacco enema kit, probably circa  late 1700's to early 1800's.  Does
your friend own the kit?  It  appears to be in extremely good shape, probably
worth a fair amount of $,  especially since the pieces in it are likely made
of ivory.

Gordon Hunt, MD

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.