HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Allen Vegotsky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 29 Jul 2009 16:57:56 -0400
Smoke enemas were used in human therapy as late as 1865 not only for curing
obstructions of the bowel, but also for killing parasitic worms and for
treating certain kinds of hernia.  These treatments came with serious risks
that were magnified at high doses and cases of fatalities have been
reported.  Stille (1860), p. 406; Wood and Bache (1865), p. 822.  Full
references available on request.
Allen

tobacco and (logically, if one can assume such in this case), a lubricant.

> A quick perusal of "smoke enema" hits in google books indicates that the
practice persisted into the late 19th century, and perhaps later, in human
and animal medicine.  (There is an illustration of smoke enema device for
horses in an 1860s veterinary manual.)  At that time physicians were aware
of the poisonous qualities of nicotine, but they believed that in small
doses it could relieve impacted bowels (via the smoke enema).  Perhaps they
were on to something as I seem to recall, in an episode of "House," the
doctor prescribing one cigarette per day to alleviate the symptoms of
Crohn's (sp?) disease or Irritable Bowel Syndrome.  Of course I'm mixing
fact and fiction, but I'm fairly sure there was a factual basis (as well as
medical consultants) behind the T.V. show.

> I find it interesting that the device and the practice lingered for so
long, as if to say "Well, it doesn't save people from drowning, but it must
ge good for something."  In other words, there was strong believe in the
practice that outweighed the medical evidence.