HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Martin C. Perdue" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jul 2009 22:10:46 +0000
I did a little focused googling and found a site that has this item identified as a "tobacco smoke enema" kit (c. 1750s-1810s).  Indeed, it looks like the very same scan as your image.  The description almost sounds a bit bogus, but I haven't looked elsewhere into the history of smoke enemas.  (Sounds like a job for Smoke <g>)  Would be interesting to know if this is truthfully the source of the expression "blowing smoke up one's..." etc.  See:

<http://medgadget.com/archives/the_good_old_days/>

Regarding the vampire-killing kit -- I could almost see this as a manufactured 'antique' to sell to wealthy suckers.  As I recall, the modern concept of vampires (i.e., predominantly from literature & popular culture) is relatively new.  I'd be even more suspicious if any of the items appeared to be used.  ;)

Marty Perdue