Reply To:
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jul 2009 22:10:46 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
I did a little focused googling and found a site that has this item identified as a "tobacco smoke enema" kit (c. 1750s-1810s).  Indeed, it looks like the very same scan as your image.  The description almost sounds a bit bogus, but I haven't looked elsewhere into the history of smoke enemas.  (Sounds like a job for Smoke <g>)  Would be interesting to know if this is truthfully the source of the expression "blowing smoke up one's..." etc.  See:

<http://medgadget.com/archives/the_good_old_days/>

Regarding the vampire-killing kit -- I could almost see this as a manufactured 'antique' to sell to wealthy suckers.  As I recall, the modern concept of vampires (i.e., predominantly from literature & popular culture) is relatively new.  I'd be even more suspicious if any of the items appeared to be used.  ;)

Marty Perdue
[log in to unmask]

----- Original Message -----
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 17:31:27 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: medical kit?

Dear Listers,

I am wondering if any subscriber may recognize what this specialized kit of (medical ?) instruments was used for (see image at):

http://skiles.net/medical_kit.jpg

The kit is believed to have come from the estate of a medical doctor (who served several terms as a member of Congress in the early 1800s); it is suspected to have had a very specialized medical purpose, as none of the modern medical doctors I've shown it to could identify it.

~ Bob Skiles

ATOM RSS1 RSS2