HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Caryn Berg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 2008 10:04:29 -0700
Hello all!

I am working on a (historic?) site in northeastern Montana. At this site, there
are many piles of (likely naturally occurring) alluvial stones. In addition, there
is a feature that is rectangular and measures 6.7 by 3.2 meters. There is
vegetation growing around the feature. This feature is surrounded by all
these piles of stone.

We originally thought this might be a push pile or a field clearing pile, but it is
too symmetrical. We hyposthesized it might be a sprong, but cannot find any
evidence of springs in the area. If it were smaller, it would seem to be a
burial, but the dimensions are quite large.

Our record search indicated that the section of land on which the site is
located was not assigned ownership, however two of the bo rdering parcels
were owned by Finns and the third by an Austrian or Serbian.

I can email you a picture off-list if you are interested. Has anyone seen/heard
of anything like this?

Thank you for any help...

Caryn Berg (SWCA Environmental Consultants)