HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Mitch Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2007 09:39:08 -0800
From the point of view of a publisher, and of our authors, this seems
like a pretty good idea. No one likes waiting 2-3 years to see books
reviewed. Anything that can speed that process is a good idea,
especially if the journal announces to its subscribers what books are
available for review on line and how to access them.

As Vergil indicates, it has always been a struggle for journal editors
to have a proper book review section yet not significantly cut into
editorial pages for refereed articles. This also ameliorates that
problem.

mitch allen

--- "Vergil E. Noble" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> A decision was made some time ago to publish them as pdf files on the
> SHA's
> website, which shouldn't be all that obscure if you're a member. They
> are
> assigned to particular journal issues, and paginated as if pulled
> directly
> out of the bound version. This saves a considerable amount on
> printing
> costs (over 70 pages in the case of vol 41, no 2), as well as
> postage,
> which was part of the rationale. As a former reviews editor for the
> journal, I can also say that--largely because of space
> constraints--it was
> not unusal for three years to pass after the publication date before
> review would appear in the journal. That sort of time lag diminishes
> the
> relevance of any review to the journal readership, and this new
> policy
> gives one hope that they will come out in a more timely fashion.

>                       V                        To:
>
>                       Sent by:                 cc:       (bcc: Vergil
> Noble/MWAC/NPS)
>                       HISTORICAL               Subject:  Re: SHA
> Journal
>                       ARCHAEOLOGY

>                       >

>                       12/19/2007 09:17
>
>                       AM MST
>
>                       Please respond to
>
>                       HISTORICAL
>
>                       ARCHAEOLOGY
>

> Mornin'  -
>
> Did I miss something?
>
> Does the SHA journal no long include published book reviews?
>
> Are they only available on some obscure WEB site?
>
> Carl Barna
> Lakewood, CO

Mitch Allen
Publisher