HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Allen Vegotsky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2007 14:18:24 -0400
In Cecil Munsey's book, "The Illustrated Guide to Collecting Bottles," p.
52, he wrote that applied color labeling "was developed around 1920 in the
United States.  It was not until the 1930s, however, that it began to
replace the popular mold-created embossments as a means of decoration and
identification."  George Miller, et al, (Northeast Historical Archaeology,
Vol. 29, p. 8) gave the year, 1935, for the applied color label and
referred to a paper by Deiss on the subject. Perhaps Bill Lockhart will
comment further on applied color labeling.
Allen