HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Skiles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2006 14:03:40 -0600
"Bushing" in this context is clearly referring to what cowboys in the Texas tradition usually called "bobbing," that is, a method of marking cattle by trimming their tail hair (viz: a 'bob-tailed' nag ... a 'bob-tailed' truck).  The cowman might "bob" the tails of the cattle he intends to keep while he is working them.   This mark is made by cutting straight across the end tassel of tail hair.  The mark is very distinctive and able to be seen from a  long distance. Cattle workers after the British tradition (viz: Australia) tend to cal this "docking."

The suggestion in your passage is that evidence (the 'bush' or hair from the end of a cow tail) was found lying on the trail, suggesting someone had illicitly changed the marking of a cow (see, "rustling") at that point along the trail.

Bob (never a cowboy, but ex-rancher) Skiles
~~~~