From:
"D. Stephen Heersink" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 12:37:56 GMT
Elsewhere I expressed my disinterest in Brahms' symphonies, while
owning enough sets that, in theory at least, I should have found one that
was revelatory enough to pull the scales from my ears.  While I do have
problems enjoying Brahms' symphonies, I thoroughly enjoy his instrumental
faire.  Idil Biret's traversal of the piano works on Naxos is perhaps the
singular best value on the market and among the most appreciated works in
my library.  Brahms' String Quartets, Trios, and Quintets are also very
enjoyable, and get frequently spinned.  It's just that his symphonies
drag -- sort of like Bruckner without the pulse.

D. Stephen Heersink
San Francisco