From:
Jon Johanning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 09:48:28 -0500
Lindsey Orcutt wrote:

>And, granted, such a thing not happening may have as much to do with
>present-day recorded music being so readily available.  I have always
>understood that the above is why repeats were frequently added: another
>chance for the audience to hear a particular piece!:-)
>
>Anyway, it got me to thinking and wondered if anyone else was intrigued by
>the idea.

I think that if a particular conductor of a particular orchestra made
it known that more enthusiasm from the audience was welcome, and that
the orchestra was willing to encore parts of the program, audiences would
probably respond.  One consideration, however, is union overtime rules,
which did not exist, of course, in the old days.  It is always a marvel
to me that a concert that starts at 8:00 ends on the stroke of 10:00.
Otherwise, it might be quite expensive for the management!

Jon Johanning // [log in to unmask]