From:
Robert Palma <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 01:06:21 -0500
Kar-Ming Chong <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>...  I think I prefer the broad and expansive accounts of Brahms'
>Symphonies by Walter/CSO and, to a lesser extent, Szell/CO.  Can anyone
>recommend other versions of Brahms' symphonies that operate in the same
>mould?

Szell and even Walter broad and expansize? Maybe in these works or in
relation to Jochum.  Forgive me for agreeing with the Penguin but the
Abbado/BPO recording is my first choice for nos.  1, 2 and 3.  Conducting,
sound and playing are very good and very appropriate, w/c means they're
done in the broad and expansive mould as Brahms should be.  On the fourth,
I've read all the sh*t against Kleiber's and the other performances some of
those critics trumpet but Kleiber is still the one.  The Klemperer is grand
but boring, the Furtwangler's are excellent but I have doubts on whether
they're Brahms.

Robert Palma <[log in to unmask]>