From:
"Denis G. Janky" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jan 1999 10:23:24 -0800
Richard Pennycuick wrote:

>Liszt also made a transcription of the 9th for two pianos.  I heard
>it years ago and endeavoured unsuccessfully to buy it.  The pianists
>were brothers named Contigulia (or something like that) and it was on
>Connoisseur Society.  The choral parts may well be included in this
>transcription.
>
>Does anyone have this LP lurking in their attic? For that matter, is
>Connoisseur Society still alive and well? Didn't they do some Ivan Moravec
>recordings? Or perhaps I'm suffering from information overload again...

I have this two-LP set.  (It is not in my attic, as I am one of those rare
individuals who still listens to LPs, but that is another long discussion!)
It is Connoisseur Society CSQ 2052.  The pianists are Richard and John
Contiguglia.  The recording is actually quadraphonic and also includes the
Festival Contata.  There are no choral parts included; the pianos do the
singing.  It is nevertheless quite interesting to hear.  In my opinion,
this recording is best appreciated by those who know the symphony very
well, because the pianos really cannot do full justice to the choral parts
and so I find myself "hearing" the singing with the pianos as my guide.
As for the playing, I find it competent, but I have not heard any other
duo in this work and have no basis for comparison.  The recording quality
is serviceable, but not great; the pressing is of mediocre quality, and
I bought it factory sealed within the past two years.  (It was purchased
second hand, and I do not know of the status of the Connoisseur Society.)

Incidentally, I also have the LP version of the Katsaris recording of the
Liszt transcription of Beethoven's 6th symphony.  I agree with others who
have commented; this is an outstanding recording.  I find this
transcription more convincing than that of the 9th.

Denis G, Janky  ([log in to unmask])