From:
Joel Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jan 1999 18:27:30 -0500
Richard Pennycuick wrote:

>Liszt also made a transcription of the 9th for two pianos.  I heard
>it years ago and endeavoured unsuccessfully to buy it.  The pianists
>were brothers named Contigulia (or something like that) and it was on
>Connoisseur Society.  The choral parts may well be included in this
>transcription.
>
>Does anyone have this LP lurking in their attic? For that matter, is
>Connoisseur Society still alive and well? Didn't they do some Ivan Moravec
>recordings? Or perhaps I'm suffering from information overload again...

I don't have the LP, but I do have a Dolby C Cassette from InSync.
Eric Silver, the guru behind the Connoisseur Society used to make these
cassettes for people who ordered them.  You were able to tell him what
noise reduction you wanted, and he woud custom-make the cassette in real
time.  I have enjoyed having this version of the 9th, as well as several
other tapes that I ordered.  The Contiguglia brothers,(identical twins)
also did some other Liszt, including the Reminisences of Norma for 2
pianos, 4 hands.

The Norma leaves out some of the material which is included in the 1 piano
version.  I called InSync to ask if the original recording had more music
on it, and Eric Silver answered the phone himself.  He assured me that he
was at the recording session and that the Conti-Guglia (alternate spelling)
brothers played all the notes that Liszt included.

Don't know the status of InSync, but must have the address around here
somewhere if anyone is interested.

Joel Hill
Tallahassee, FL