From:
William Kasimer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 15:09:36 -0500
David Cozy <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>My interest is piqued.  Is anyone familiar with these songs, with Netania
>Davrath, with this disc? Is Davrath's version the one to look for?

In a word, yes.

Davrath (b. 1931, Ukraine) was a fine light lyric soprano.  She made
her operatic career in Israel, where she emigrated after WW2, but sang
recitals and concerts around the world.  She died young (at age 56), highly
respected as a performer and teacher.  On another forum, someone compared
her to Phyllis Curtin, and I think that the comparison is apt.

Most of her recordings are on Vanguard, including the Canteloube (which
is probably her best known).  I don't know about the rest, but I recently
bought a superb set of Davrath singing Russian operatic excerpts and songs
(also on Vanguard) from BRO for the paltry sum of $5.98 (for 2 well-filled
CD's).

William D. Kasimer
[log in to unmask] (for attachments)