From:
Santu De Silva <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 19:19:58 -0800
Alexis Edorh wrote:

>I very much like Britten's set and also the Menuhin for warmth and
>character.

I was just about to remark on this very set.  I recently bought the
Britten set, and I'm not impressed.  I've heard literally dozens of
versions of these concertos, and the Britten set does not stand out
in any way whatsoever; I can only assume that the recordings have some
sort of nostalgic association for those who like them.  There's nothing
*unpleasant* about them; don't get me wrong.  They're just remarkably
ordinary.

Dr. S. de Silva <[log in to unmask]>
Lycoming College, Williamsport PA