From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 16:13:07 PST
I've been an avid fan of Telemann's vocal music for a few years and look
forward to new releases of his cantatas, oratorios, and operas.

CPO released a new disc of cantatas a few months ago, but I was not able to
locate it until this week in an unlikely spot - a book/software store which
has a very small selection of classical cd's, mostly from Naxos.

The disc is titled "The Cornett Cantatas" and the cornett replaces the
voice(only kidding).  What ties the three cantatas on the disc together is
the use of the cornett.  Ludger Remy directs the period instrument ensemble
"Telemann-Kammerorchester Michaelstein."

Unfortunately, although the performances are fine, the works themselves do
not represent Telemann at his most inspired.  The chorales are attractive,
and there's one particularly lovely aria.  Beyond that, it's routine
Telemann and not memorable.

One does need to be cautious when buying Telemann.  His best vocal works,
such as the oratorio "Der Tag des Gerichts(The Day of Judgement)", are on
a par with Handel's.  However, with the passage of time, I'm finding that
most of his vocal works are at a lesser level of excellence.

Overall, my opinion of Telemann's music has gone down some in the past
year.  I'm starting to conclude that Bach and Handel are in a baroque
league all their own based on their consistency of inspiration.

Don Satz