From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 11:18:51 +1100
Bert Bailey told of having ordered:

recorded since its first, and said further:

>I'm encouraged by your view that it's better than Britten's PC.  To muddy
>the waters, though, I noticed a Rubbra Sinfonia Concertante with piano
>obligatto available on Chandos ...so _this_ might've been the one you had
>in mind: ...

The one I had in mind was the Piano Concerto.  I wasn't aware of the
later recording of it, but a bit of digging reveals it to contain 1970s
broadcasts, and on BBC Radio Classics, of whose demise we were recently
told, so I hope you get a copy.  Hope *I* do, too!  BTW, I like the Britten
concerto well enough, it's just that it's a bit too "Look at me, I'm
dancing" whereas the Rubbra, whose slow movement is balm of a high order,
doesn't need to draw attention to itself.

I have the Sinfonia Concertante CD and commend that to you as well.  The
symphony has much violence and anger, unlike any other Rubbra symphony
(although I don't know the 11th).

Richard Pennycuick