Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 07:55:29 -0700
From:
Jun Qian <[log in to unmask]>
obert Palma wrote:

>Kar-Ming Chong <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>...  I think I prefer the broad and expansive accounts of Brahms'
>>Symphonies by Walter/CSO and, to a lesser extent, Szell/CO.  Can anyone
>>recommend other versions of Brahms' symphonies that operate in the same
>>mould?
>
>The Klemperer is grand but boring...

I have only listened to the first, and I have to say that I cannot agree
with "boring" part of your assessment.

Now that DG is issuing its own Celibedache edition headed by the
Brahms symphonies, I would like to hear from the list members what their
impressions and/or reactions are.  From the EMI Celi edition discs I had my
first "first hand" exposure to this conductor, and the way he handles most
of the works on this edition is certainly very expansive yet there is no
lack of thrust.  So I would not be surprised if his Brahms will fit the
taste of Kar-ming Chong.  Since I have not heard the discs yet, I mention
them not as suggestions but to seek opinions from the more knowledgables.

Jun