From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 29 May 2008 00:50:44 -0400
Peter quoted a Penn State Press Release thusly:

>> "Bees were found on the floor with paralytic-type
>> movements, and guard bees were observed removing
>> paralytic bees from colonies and flying across
>> the room. The majority of these 'twitcher' bees
>> were found to have IAPV."

Strange, no one has ever seen any of the so-called "twitcher"
bees in any actual CCD-symptom hives in the field.
As a result, one is forced to ask if the IAPV they used was
obtained from Sela in Israel, where IAPV was said to be a
quick killer of hives and included "twitch" symptoms.

As the Penn State team has already stipulated that the
speculative "strain" of IAPV that has been in the USA
for years is very different from the Israeli "strain"
of IAPV, I don't see the connection between this work
and CCD, except for the obvious end-game of reduced
population caused by unusual bee mortality being somewhat
similar to CCD.

If the virus was obtained from Israel, rather than from
USA sources, then this would be nothing but the worst
form of distracting showmanship.

It would be rather like shooting several people and
watching them bleed to death, and then claiming that
the bullets were a possible cause of Ebola, which also
causes people to die from blood loss.  (A silly example,
I know, but there's lots of ways to loose significant
blood, and most of them can kill the patient if untreated.
Only one of them is Ebola, and it has specific unique
symtoms.)