From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 2008 00:35:27 -0600
Hello Alden & All,

>are trying to tell us something and the bats (mammals) are joining the
>chorus?

As Aaron pointed out there are similarities between the bat die-off and the
bee die-off. I am sure many watched the CBS evening news report today by
Katie Curic. Tomorrow another story about the bee die-off.

Bat die-off:

Three possible hypothesis were presented  by three researchers (and my
comments)

Researcher 1. because of weather the bats did not store enough food for
hibernation.

Also could be caused by the new neonicotinoids as reduced feeding is a known
symptom of neonicotinoid poisoning.

The important thing about the views of researcher 1 is he has pin pointed
the fact the dead bats died above all else from starvation!

He blames the weather but unlike the bee die off the current bat die off to
my knowledge started over the last few years and is escalating. The weather
seems a week hypothesis but possible as climate change effects many species.

One other hypothesis:
bats feeding on insects with levels of pesticides.  Possible systemic.

researcher 2.
Fungus killed the bats.

Could easily be a symptom rather than the actual cause of death. (the same
with fungus and CCD) Fungus was at the top of the CCD cause list for a short
while. Now ruled out as a serious factor.

researcher 3.
 Pesticides.

lethargic bats and bats simply flying out in dead of winter to die. Both
symptoms the program indicated had not been seen before. Eerily similar to
what many beekeepers are reporting this winter in cold areas. Hives with
bees last warm spell . Then when checked a couple weeks later the hive is
empty or only a small amount of bees. Not with heads in cells but dead on
bottom board. Not found dead in front of the entrance. The only possible
explanation is
the bees simply flew out confused and could not make it back or simply flew
out to die. I had a few of these hives myself and I can say I have NEVER
seen the problem before the last few years.

In the CCD information posted today about "What the EPA is doing" it is
still in my opinion more of the same from the EPA. We are tired of the LD 50
reasoning. We want to know about sub lethal effects.

bob

--
believed to be clean.