From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2008 21:43:31 -0600
> any guesses on what was by far the most common pair of chems? -

Fluvalinate & amatraz the two most widely used varroa mitacides in the
WORLD.

In the 1987 book "The varroa Handbook" which listed the top 100 chemicals
which were known at the time to control varroa those were the two deemed the
safest as far as honey contamination and safe for the bees. Both had been in
use for a few decades before then.

If your hypothesis was true Brian then why are millions of hives around the
world doing just fine on comb which has those levels of those chems?

 Randy Oliver and I have pondered the question and it seems to me that bees
can tolerate a very high PPM of those chems.

Also what I was told by Beltsville.

Not keeping control of varroa and not keeping a handle on nosema has killed
far more hives in the U.S. over the last decade than comb contamination from
fluvalinate than amatraz. If you had been with me the last decade looking
over my shoulder you would believe the same but you have not so we will have
to agree to disagree!

 the beekeeper which you speak of main mistake was not to contact me first
instead of Beltsville. When we did speak Beltsville was his source of
information. I would have set the test up very different than they did. Not
a single control hive on foundation! I believe he has a comb problem but
also believe its caused by something other than the high levels of
fluvalinate and amatraz found in his comb.

When he said he was going to radiate his comb (asked me if I wanted some
comb done) i advised to do as BELL Honey had done and replace comb. He chose
to listen to Beltsville. Bell Honey burned comb in Florida (with permits)
for two months solid. Three and a half million frames . Now he is back to
square one as the money spent to radiate the comb seems now (at least to
me ) a waste.  If he had torched the inside of those boxes and started on
new foundation those package bees I believe he would not be having the
problem.

I have never been attached to old dark 30 year old comb but I have got
friends which will not replace comb. In spring in Texas you can warm
yourself by the frame bon fires of Darrel Ruford and other large operators.

I do not have frames of comb on which fluvalinate of coumaphos have been
used and the bees look great. However I can take a ride across town and show
you hives of bees which look as good as mine and the beekeeper has only used
chemical strips for the last two decades.

bob

--
believed to be clean.