From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2007 11:44:56 -0500
Hello Dick & All,

>    I actually feel embarrassment, just writing this, right now. I must be
bad beekeeper!

That's what those which have not been hit by problems always say about CCD.
The old timers like myself know that sooner or later if a problem is
happening most likely the whole industry will be effected. However if
pesticides are the issue then those in areas not using the problem
pesticides will not for the most part be effected. As it stands now in the
U.S. the most CCD is being reported in row crop areas.

>    The polling of data on CCD has been a large stumbling block for the
researchers.

The problem is not the polling as much as trying to say the problems are ALL
related to some unknown cause. At least now they are making a list with four
possible causes.
What happened last fall is history. Forget last fall and prepare to research
early a repeat of last fall. We are approaching the time problems started
last year.

> I reasoned that he may have had good
reasons for his reticence.

I will take a shot at the why.

    1. Stating your losses is a lot like giving the world a financial
statement.

Many beekeepers run 1,000 of hives over the number they admit to. In some
states each hive is taxed. Only hobby beekeepers are honest about hive
numbers. Many never admit to the amount of honey produced ( a penny a pound
to the NHB does not seem like a lot of money unless you are talking a
million pounds)

    2. Pollination customers could become insecure knowing that disease had
been found in his bees.

We started getting calls after the first CCD report hit the media.

    3. He may have been scrambling to buy/rent enough bees to cover
contracts and didn't want folks to know he was wounded.

EXACTLY! pollination contracts are the bread and butter of beekeeping and
your fellow beekeepers will cover your contract if needed. You never want
give a grower the idea you can't cover his needs. Our answer to no. 2 was:
"no worries mate!"

    4. There's a lot of mistrust and resentment among some beekeepers with
the government forces. They had no recommendations anyway.

A degree of truth in the above. The USDA-ARS has been very helpful but
congress has typically not been.

    5. By the time a guy is big enough and has been for years, there's
arrogance that he can handle his own problems.

After many years of handling his own problems most feel most problems are
usually handled by solutions he comes up with or from fellow beekeepers.
Beekeeping has some very knowledgeable beekeepers but only in rare times
does the USDA-ARS ask for their help.

    6. Asking for, or admitting the need for, help can be a sign of
weakness. See 5 above.

Government help has been typically a day late in most cases when a crisis
happens. Documentation seems to only occur.

7.loans  would seemingly be more difficult
if ones banker was reading about your diseased bees.

Without a doubt!

   >Anyone want to come forward?

I have not had any losses which fit the CCD standard but did have a higher
winter loss than in years.

I have looked at deadouts in others hives which fit the CCD pattern and have
received  reports of CCD losses this year from many states. Mostly areas of
pesticide treated seed.

bob

--
believed to be clean.