ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Eric Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2007 17:07:55 -0500

Thanks for the very useful thread.  So far, I score a solid 60% in my
green habits, if you include Bob Russell's suggestion.

But I had an idea that I wonder if anyone has tried or thought of. I
think what set me off on this idea was a film clip of water buffalo
walking around in circles to run a mill.  My mind naturally elided
this with people running on treadmills in gyms, what I always think
of as "hamster time."  So, what if we made an "energy health club" in
a science center.  The trick is that you *have* to run/pedal/
stairclimb to keep the lights on or the TV going or whatever
entertainment you use to keep your mind off the numbing boredom of
running on a treadmill.  Green types would love it (someone has to be
pedaling on the stationary bike to make the carrot/ginger/wheatgrass
juicer work).  You could charge like a regular health club while
providing a valuable lesson in green power.  There could be a
decorative waterfall sculpture in the middle that only works if
enough people are pedaling. Those insane speed pedaling classes that
I see would be rewarded with even louder disco music to keep them
motivated.  Maybe even sell electricity back to the grid or make part
of the exhibit on battery storage.

Any takers?  Let's Collaborate, Let's Innovate, Lets have Strategic
Impact!

Now, back to the regularly scheduled NSF proposal which is already in
progress.

Eric Siegel
Director and
Chief Content Officer