HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2007 12:16:10 EST
Good morning Histarch-ers.

After 25 years operating a small business we are out of space and faced  with
a dilema.  We have accumulated tons of material.  Excavation  fieldnotes,
level records, etc. are filed with the collection at archives but we  also have
copies in house.  On a survey level we have all the pencilled  site records and
maps from the field effort and notes, although the information  is included
in reports that are filed at various places and copies of fieldnotes  are with
agencies who contracted with us in the first place.  Getting a  storage locker
to stick boxes in isn't really feasible.  Trying to scan 25  years of
projects also isn't feasible, and who knows how long the e-data will  last on a cd?
We have two schools of thought here.  One is that since  copies of excavation
data are with collections we can dispose of the  in-house duplicates by
shredding.  The survey material is no where but  here, but was reproduced in reports
that are filed at various agencies or  repositories so can also be shredded.
The other "school"  screams PRIMARY DATA - DO NOT DESTROY!!!   Suggestions?

Mary L.  Maniery