HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
BR Fortenberry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2007 12:57:24 -0500
******CALL FOR PAPERS******

EIGHTH BIENNIAL OPEN FORUM FOR GRADUATE STUDENTS

PUBLIC OUTREACH: THE ROLE OF ARCHAEOLOGY BEYOND THE SITE

FEBRUARY 8-10, 2008

KEYNOTE SPEAKER: To Be Announced

Organized by the Graduate Student Association of the

Department of Archaeology at Boston University

The Graduate Student Association of the Department of Archaeology at Boston
University invites you to participate in the Eight Biennial Graduate Student
Conference on February 8–10, 2008. This conference series is intended to
provide a forum for the discussion of current issues and perspectives in
Archaeology and its related fields, including Anthropology, Art History,
Near Eastern Studies, Museum Studies and Classics. The theme of this year's
conference is archaeological public outreach, an aspect of our field whose
fundamental importance has been receiving increasing attention in recent
years. We invite participants to address outreach by discussing topics
ranging from past successes and failures of outreach efforts, to the role of
archaeologists in the education of younger generations and local
communities, site preservation and presentation, cooperation and outreach
with indigenous communities, as well as a discussion of how we should best
present archaeological data in a manner that is accessible to a general
audience. The conference will conclude with a round table discussion,
including our keynote speaker, addressing the current state and the
potential for the future of archaeological public outreach.

Papers are limited to 20 minutes and may address any time period, geographic
area, or related theoretical issue.  Please submit typed abstracts of 500 or
fewer words to the address below or by e-mail ([log in to unmask]) by January 1,
2008.  Include your name, address, institutional/departmental affiliation,
telephone number, and e-mail address.  There is no registration fee for this
conference.  If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact us
at:

*Graduate Student Conference Committee*

*Department of Archaeology, Boston University*

*675 Commonwealth Avenue*

*Boston, MA**  **02215*

Visit the Archaeology Department web site at http://www.bu.edu/archaeology/

email: Caitlin Chaves [log in to unmask]

BR Fortenberry
PhD Student Boston University