From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 13:51:55 -0500
Achim Breiling wrote:

>Indeed, the collection of Vermeulens orchetral works is very nice!  I have
>this set since some years and its quite essential for 20th century music
>listeners.  I listened again to the syms.  6 and 7 during the weekend and
>yes, this is really unique music!

But start with Symphonies 1 and 2. These are fine performances on Donemus,
by the way, with nice glowing sound.

As I recall, Vermeulen essentially lived in poverty as a result of writing
a negative article about Mengelberg.  The conductor apparently had the
power to destroy him and did so.  According tp a friend of mine who loves
V's music, the composer's life was a real tragedy.

Roger Hecht