From:
Performance Today from National Public Radio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 14:04:46 -0400
COMING UP ON NPR's WEEKEND PT   APRIL 10 AND APRIL 11 1999

Saturday, APRIL 10

Hour 1-- Milestones of the Millennium--Dance:  We continue our countdown
to the year 2001 with the eleventh installment of PT's "Milestones of the
Millennium" series.  Today Martin Goldsmith and Time magazine dance critic
Terry Teachout discuss the evolution of the partnership between dance and
classical music.

Hour 2-- Keeping the Beat:  Lisa Simeone talks with percussion virtuoso
Evelyn Glennie about her career and commissioning new works for her
instruments.  Glennie is the co-artistic director of the National Symphony
Orchestra's Percussion Festival, which began Thursday night at the Kennedy
Center in Washington, DC.

Sunday, APRIL 11

Hour 1-- Sounds of Spring:  The chirps, caws and whistles of birds inspired
Italian composer Luigi Boccherini's "Aviary" Quintet.  We'll hear it
performed by cellist Nathaniel Rosen and the Orion String Quartet, from a
concert they gave at the 1998 Virginia Waterfront International Festival of
the Arts in Norfolk.

Hour 2-- Basic Hovhaness:  PT critic Ted Libbey joins Lisa for a visit to
the 20th-century wing of PT's Basic Record Library.  Today Ted recommends
three outstanding recordings of American composer Alan Hovhaness's Symphony
No. 2, also known as "Mysterious Mountain."

COMING UP ON NPR's PERFORMANCE TODAY    APRIL 12-APRIL 19, 1999

LISA SIMEONE  IS HOST

Monday, APRIL 12

Hour 1-- A Czech Concerto from the Land of Lincoln:  From the
Krannert Center for the Performing Arts at the University of Illinois
Urbana-Champaign, we'll hear Sinfonia da Camera perform the Piano Concerto
No.  3 by Ignaz Moscheles.  Conductor Ian Hobson doubles as piano soloist.

Hour 2-- Hilary Hahn in Studio 4A:  At the tender age of 18, American
violinist Hilary Hahn is a seasoned veteran of the concert stage.  Since
her 1991 debut with the Baltimore Symphony, she's been in hot demand as
a soloist and has played with many of the top orchestras in the US and
Europe.  In this hour, Lisa welcomes Hahn to Studio 4A.  They'll talk about
her life as a teenager on the musical fast-track, and she'll perform music
by Beethoven--the "Kreutzer" Sonata--with her accompanist, Andrius Zlabys.

Tuesday, APRIL 13

Hour 1-- And the winner is...: The Pulitzer Prizes were announced Monday
afternoon, and Lisa will talk with the winner in the music category.

Hour 2-- Coming to Terms with the Concerto:  PT commentator and American
Chamber Player Founder Miles Hoffman joins Lisa in Studio 4B for another
session of Coming to Terms.  Today Miles answers a listener's question
about the history and evolution of the concerto.

Wednesday, APRIL 14

Hour 1-- Milestones of the Millennium--Igor Stravinsky:  We continue
our countdown to the year 2001 with the fourteenth installment of PT's
"Milestones of the Millennium" series.  Today, Grammy-nominated conductor
(and Stravinsky's assistant from 1948 until 1971) Robert Craft, composer
Philip Glass, and the composer himself talk about Stravinsky's music and
how these ground-breaking works helped define classical music in the 20th
century.

Hour 2-- In concert around the country:  In this hour, we'll present a
sampling of music from recent US concert performances.

Thursday, APRIL 15

Hour 1-- Happy 75th, Sir Neville!:  English conductor Sir Neville
Marriner, founder and conductor of London's prestigious Academy of St.
Martin-in-the-Fields, turns 75 today.  He talks with Lisa about his career
and reflects on a lifetime of music-making..

Hour 2-- Basic Ginastera:  PT critic Ted Libbey joins Lisa for a visit to
the 20th-century wing of PT's Basic Record Library.  Today Ted recommends
outstanding recordings of Argentinean composer Alberto Ginastera's ballet
"Estancia."

Friday, APRIL 16

Hour 1-- Live in Studio 4A:  John Davis as Blind Tom:  Lisa welcomes John
Davis to Studio 4A.  Davis, a Juilliard-trained pianist who focuses on the
influence of African-American music on the classical tradition, introduces
the piano works of a 19th-century slave named Blind Tom.

Hour 2-- In this hour, we'll feature a recent orchestral or chamber music
performance.

Monday, APRIL 19

Hour 1-- Live in Studio 4A:  A former child prodigy grown up.  Cellist
Shauna Rolston joins pianist Bernadine Blaha and Lisa in NPR's Studio 4A
for an hour of conversation and music, including a performance of Samuel
Barber's Cello Sonata.

Hour 2-- American Orchestras: In this hour, we'll hear an outstanding
performance by a U.S. orchestra.

FOR MORE PROGRAM INFORMATION, COME AND BROWSE PERFORMANCE TODAY'S WEB PAGE:

   http://www.npr.org/programs/pt

***NOTE: SCHEDULE IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE.  FOR EXACT BROADCAST TIMES, CONTACT
YOUR LOCAL PUBLIC RADIO STATION OR CALL PERFORMANCE  TODAY AT (202) 414-2370.