From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 23:09:55 -0500
Julia Werthimer wrote:

>I've just finished listening to the Met broadcast of this opera, and I am
>once more overwhelmed by the emotional intensity and ravishing beauty of
>the music.  What recordings do list members recommend?

Mackerras has had it hands down on London because Katya was one of the
weaker entries on Supraphon, most of whose old issues I like as much as
Mackerras, for different reasons.  Mackerras is rerecording at least some
of the operas now with Czech forces and Gabriela Benackova on Supraphon.
So far, he's done Jenufa and Katya.  I can't remember the review of Katya,
but recall Jenufa as being considered quite good and quite different from
the Vienna series, particularly in the sound of the Czech orchestra, and
Benackova, though not at her prime, worth hearing.  Supposedly, the casts
on London might be stronger.  I *think* I read some good review of the
Katya, but I just can't be sure.

In any case, all this is strictly hearsay regarding the new recordings
since I've not heard the new recordings.

I have always liked the Mackerras/London issue.  It's quite romantic, as is
the opera, and the analog sound is wonderful.

Absent commentary from someone who's heard both Mackerras recordings, I
would guess that the Vienna issue is more lush and romantic, the Supraphon
more silvery, leaner, dramatic, and Czech.  As a rule that is how the old
Supraphons compared with Mackerras, and, while this is M vs M, there is the
factor of the Czech orchestra, which is not to be slighted.

Hope this helps a little.

Roger Hecht