From:
Ed Zubrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jan 1999 08:05:53 -0500
On a different thread there was comment about using a complex piece of
music as background for a while before attempting to truly engage it.
I have found this method works pretty well.  Indeed, on advice from the
list, I tried it with the Bartok Quartets myself.

The return of this notion to the list, and the supportive responses it
drew makes me offer a larger question:  What do list members find to be
the most effective ways of meeting a new work and why? Do your approaches
vary depending on the repertoire? How about if you are engaging a new
performance of a work with which you are familiar?

Also, how many of you make notes of music you listen to for the first time?
And, finally, when (and how) do you introduce the score into your study of
a piece?

Thanks.

Ed