From:
John Dalmas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 12:56:01 -0500
Deryk Barker wrote:

>"Ah yes, I was forgetting Rafael. As I said, though, I had read that it
>was Abbado.

After checking in my old Schwann catalogs, I must agree that it was
probably Abbado.  In 1983 when "Educating Rita" was made, The Kubelik
(released in 1969) had been withdrawn for quite a few years, and did not
reappear until the release of the full set of symphonies much later.
Assuming the set director had sent for a current recording, and that this
is what we hear on the soundtrack, the only DGs available to him then would
have been the Abbado and the von Karajan.  (The end titles provide no
identification.)

John Dalmas