From:
"Alan J. Briker" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 07:57:16 -0500
I have both the Puccini and Bernstein Cds as well as the newly released
Bayless encounter with movie themes.  I'm pretty much in agreement with you
and find the arrangements interesting.  I much prefer the Bernstein.  His
doodling with "I Feel Pretty" is quite Godowskyish and "America" is very
clever.  Though I doubt he plays any piece exactly the same way twice the
transcriptions are well thought out.  I found the Puccini pleasant but,
with the exception of Non Piangere Liu (spelling) from Turandot jujst too
much like cocktail lounge playing without the ingenuity of the Bernstein.
His most recent CD is a disappointment, with silly orchestral accompaniment
atop uninteresting arrangements.  Elevator music.

Alan J. Briker