From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 13:42:33 -0600
Mark Seeley writes:

>I have often wondered why the Cleveland Orchestra, as one example since I
>am more familiar with them, does not program more British or English music
>-- Parry, Elgar, Vaughn-Williams, Britten, et al.

Probably because their current artistic director is unfamiliar with or
dislikes 20th-century British music, although he has programmed Tippett
(and played it very well).  Szell programmed and conducted Walton.  Knussen
has programmed his own works with that orchestra, but he seems to be more
interested in Modern American rather than Modern British music.

Steve Schwartz