From:
Steven Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 14:36:03 EST
Peter Harzem writes:

>Does it have something to do with fundamental cultural values? (But, dear
>God, not the slogan 'family values!')
>
>I write on cultures, survival of cultures, etc.  and I am supposed to be
>reasonably informed about such matters.  But I do not know the answers to
>these questions.  Any suggestions?

I don't care what anyone says, for some reason Brits just seem to like CM
more than Americans.  I am sure that there is plenty of ammunition to say
that CM is in trouble in the UK also but I know that whenever I have been
in the UK there were more well stocked music stores and more CM concerts
than are available where I live (near Washington DC).

I think that you are dead-on that American's just do not value cultural
institutions.  Look at the constant efforts to end the NEH and Public
Broadcasting.  I have yet to hear one family-values zealot who while
decrying the decline of our school systems, has ever shown any remorse at
the lack of interests in the arts or CM.  They just don't seem to think
it is worth teaching and then they wonder why our students seem to be so
intellectually stunted.  Meanwhile, we who enjoy CM are constantly having
to defend ourselves as not being "elitist".  I got news for you, when you
find yourself constantly on the defensive it means that you are losing.
There is a reason why you are constantly on the defensive, it means most
people are hostile towards what you are defending.  I see it as part of
the "culture war" that seems to be getting worse in this country.

As near as I can gather, the UK seems to be more open minded about the
value of cultural institutions but lacks money.  The US has plenty of
money but no interest in cultural institutions.

Steve M. (Northern Virginia)