From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2007 17:17:22 -0400
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>The die off was real but the documented cases of CCD as determined by bees
>missing and 7-9 frames of brood left was rare from those I spoke with.

Hello Bob,

With the diagnosis you mention, it would rule out colonies having less
frames of brood and in singles and nucs, or wintering colonies.  It might
also rule out Russians and other stock that are known the cut back or shut
down brood rearing.  It might even rule out colonies with poor queen
performance,  which I might think would be the most susceptible.

A diagnosis of CCD might also disproportionately show a higher number of
collapsed Italian colonies being ‘diagnosed’ with CCD.  While a collapsed
Russian colony in queen shutdown, OR less performing queen ruled not CCD.

So the symptoms used to "diagnose CCD", do NOT IMO make a diagnosis!  They
only makd a ‘suggestion’ that it is perhaps CCD.  Which is far from a
diagnosis.

Best Wishes,
Joe