From:
Joel Govostes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2007 16:44:26 -0400
Ormond and Harry (father and son) used single Lang brood chambers with q.
excluders, and 6" honey supers. They used a lot of honey supers, and always
added the newest ones right above the excluder. No doubt a lot of work to
shift all those filled supers to add a new one, but they claimed this
prevented swarming. They were in Santa Cruz, CA and I believe they usually
wintered in one brood chamber plus one super, with the hives being wrapped.
They were cautious about cool air and drafts in the hives. As I recall they
experimented with things like 11 frames in the brood chamber, a la Charles
Koover, but ulitmately did not find this to be practical. Another set of
experiments involved grounding the queen excluders. You could say they
really mollycoddled their bees. Their two books are written in an affable
style, and make for an enjoyable read.