From:
Roger White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2007 19:52:47 +0300
Dave Cushman wrote :<< think his talents were wasted in following the path that he took. But because he was well known and a dogmatic proponent of
his method his statements made a disproportionate and damaging impact on beekeeping in UK.>>

I have to disagree totally with this outrageous statement.  Maybe Bro Adam realised that AMM had its faults and limitations and that these could only be corrected by crossing and selecting until the breeder reached his goal.  Why do you think he travelled tens of thousands of kilometers in his search for bees that he could put to good use in his breeding work.  He underwent many hardships in his quest and as a monk wasn't on any sort of ego trip when he could have been safely in his cell at Buckfast praying to God.
I cannot imagine why you regard this work as damaging to beekeeping in the UK.  The result is that many beekeepers now enjoy the fruits of his labours in that they have colonies of bees that are excellent producers, are easy to manage and need a minimum of input from the beekeeper.
The main reason for aggressiveness in the UK bee population (we have been over this time and time again on other forums) is unselected AMM and these probably of  French origin, which you are unable to separate from native AMM.
AMM is often presented by its fans as THE bee to end all problems, if only it could be kept pure - the truth is that it isn't. No native strain is - Buckfast comes close to it though.
Regards
Roger White
Superbee bees Cyprus.