From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2007 21:45:01 +0100
John Horton wrote:

> Brother Adams and others  searched far and wide to identify several types
> of honeybees..many with distinctive and unique characteristics.

Brother Adam, like other proponents of hybridisation, sought out pure
strains which he then used to to create hybrids.  Is it not ironic that his
actions then helped to dilute, if not destroy, some of the pure strains upon
which his work depended?  We have gene banks for seeds to ensure that
original strains are not lost, yet most do little to ensure that pure
strains of bees survive.

> Does anybody know of an effort to seek and preserve what is left of the
> various strins of honeybees.

Yes - we have projects in Europe to preserve the North European Dark Bee.

> I would cetainly not complain if I saw a portion of my tax money going to
> such an endeavor.

We will be delighted to put you money to good use - just as soon as you can
persuade your government to send it here!

Best wishes

Peter Edwards
www.stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk/